Saturday, March 17, 2007

The decency of Martin Sheen

Martin Sheen is widely regarded as one the finest actors of his generation. But, more importantly -- at least in my view -- he is an exceptionally kind and decent person.

I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Sheen while working as an extra (I prefer the term background artist) on the set of the film Bobby (directed by his son Emilio, who, incidentally, is a splendid fellow in his own right.) Mr. Sheen introduced himself and engaged me in a friendly conversation.

I can assure you from firsthand experience that an actor of Sheen's stature does not often engage an extra in conversation. You see, film sets are profoundly hierarchical and, it pains me to say, extras reside at the bottom of the pecking order. They are frequently treated with indifference if not outright contempt.

Mr. Sheen's name comes up often while conversing with fellow background artists on the sets of various movie and television productions. It does not surprise me in the least that nearly everyone has personally experienced -- or knows somebody that has -- the decency of Martin Sheen.